15 January 2011

Daily Happenings

School has come into full swing, so my time spent "doing nothing" has greatly decreased. Still, this semester seems a lot more slack than any at home. For example... my assignment for this weekend is to go to the Saturday market and people watch. Observe social dynamics. And shop a little while you are there. I'll let you know how that goes, as my camera is feeling lonely. In the meantime, I thought I'd give you an idea of what my weekdays look like...

Monday: Get up for breakfast between 8 and 9. If I'm still tired, I'll go back to bed and sleep until 10 or so after I've eaten. Take my time showering and getting ready for the day. Maybe take a walk around Cortona, let my camera get some action. I really could take endless pictures of the view! Go back, eat some lunch. Monday is also a good day to go down to the Co-op and restock my groceries. Do readings/homework for Tuesdays class. Supper is at 7:30 and is always a 3 course meal. YUM!! Usually after supper I'll retire to my room and turn on Skype and see who's around. Bedtime is by 11pm.

Tuesday: Alarm is set for 7:30, and I'll shower and get ready BEFORE breakfast. Breakfast, as always is between 8 and 9. Class starts at 9:15, so before I leave I'll pack a lunch and grab my books. I have class 9:15-10:45, 11:00-12:30, and 12:45-2:15. Between class at one point I'll run across the street and grab a cappuccino or hot chocolate from the chocolate shop. What a lovely, tempting location!! Tuesdays I have a language lab for Italian back at the hostel at 3pm, so after class I head back and get a start on my homework. The language lab usually goes until about 4-4:30. Afterwards I resume homework/facebook until supper at 7:30. After supper my brain decides to turn off and I retire to my room once again.

Wednesday: Get up for breakfast between 8 and 9. Take my time getting ready/showering. No class today, but now I have a pile of readings/homework so most of the day will be spent doing that. Leftovers for lunch (no complaints!!) Maybe I'll take a walk around Cortona to get some air, maybe I'll go down to Camucia to do some laundry... Supper at 7:30, and relaxing in the evening. Most people here at the hostel like to party all night, every night. I'm just not into that, so that tends to be why I keep to myself after supper.

Thursday: Alarm is again set for 7:30, so that I can shower, eat breakfast, and pack my lunch. On school days I pack a sandwich, yogurt, fruit, etc., rather than eating leftovers. I save leftovers for days that I don't have class. Class until 2:15, most likely a stop at the chocolate shop for a caffe cioccolato al fondente, and then Italian lab until 5:30. Days that I have class are exhausting, but balanced by the days that I have NO class. Thursdays are basically the equivalent of Fridays, because nobody has class on fridays. This means I can stay up later, and get ready for the weekend.

Friday: Yay it's the weekend! I'll usually get up for breakfast, and consider going back to bed afterwards, but it depends on what the plan is for the day. This is a good day for day trips.... for example, some of us went to Florence for the day to do some shopping. We caught the train at 11:30, and came back around 9pm. Very long day, but definitely worth it! I bought new leather boots! Unfortunately, I have no pictures of those yet... so you'll have to be patient! Friday is also karaoke night at a local pub. Gave me a chance to get dolled up and try out my new boots! Also, this pub serves complimentary popcorn when you order drinks.... oh how I have missed popcorn. You wouldn't think it would be such a hard thing to find!

Saturday: If I haven't gone away for the weekend, I can go to the Saturday market in Cortona. The market is mostly clothes, etc., since it is geared towards those living in Cortona who don't (or can't) go down to the Co-op in Camucia. However, there were numerous vegetable, fruit, cheese, and meat stalls also. I picked up some potatoes... hashbrowns!! I'll likely spend some of the day doing homework to get ready for the next week. If I have leftovers I'll eat those, if I don't I'll plan to make something (such as hashbrowns! ;) )

Sunday: If I've gone away for the weekend, this is a day to return home and then relax. I have yet to find a church to attend here in Cortona, although they are in abundance. My concern rests on the observation that they are all catholic churches. I wonder if there are other denominations around? Sunday evening is also the best chance for me to Skype with family. (Sunday evening for me is Sunday afternoon at home. I am 8 hours ahead of AB time.)

I hope this gives you a better idea of what life is like studying abroad. To sum up: It's awesome!

1 comment:

Niki said...

*like* What a great adventure you're having! You'll have so many memories and never regret taking the opportunity to do this!